I believe that when we have true faith in Jesus, it changes out we live our lives. Our faith impacts our attitudes, our choice of words, our values, decisions, actions, and so much more. In fact if our lives aren’t being changed to be more like Jesus, it brings in to question whether we have faith at all.
“faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” (James 2:17)
The Bible is teaching us that real faith is visible. True saving faith in Jesus Christ is active. Observable good deeds are the evidence that we have truly been saved. Faith without works is dead.
Earl Kelly in his book – A primer for Christian living – wrote: "You believe that Christ is the Lord of your life. Good! What do you do that you would not do if you did not believe it? You believe that Christ came to save sinners. That's wonderful. What effect does that have on your actions? You believe in the judgment – but does it compel you to resist temptation? You believe you are saved – but be honest with yourself, and ask yourself what difference it would make in your conduct if you stopped believing it.
Someone once asked – Do our lips and our lives agree? That is a compelling question.
So what does faith look like in our lives?
• It is seen in the person who continues to praise God in spite of a devastating diagnosis.
• It is seen in those who make the tough decision to put God first even if it means missing out on some of the things others do.
• It is seen in the person who continues to love a person even though they have been repeatedly unkind.
• It is seen in those who give what they have to alleviate the needs of others rather than indulge ourselves
• It is seen in the person who refuses to give in to anxiety because of their trust God’s wisdom and timing.
• It is seen in those who do what is right even though everyone else is doing what is wrong.
Real faith – what does it look like?
• Is not just something you say
• Is not just something you feel – not just emotions
• Is not just something you think
• Real faith is not just something you believe
• Real faith is something you do - It’s not passive. It’s active. It’s a commitment.
2 Corinthians 13:5 – “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith.”
Today’s Challenge: Take action to make your faith visible. Live it out in public. Since Jesus was not ashamed to go to the cross, we cannot be ashamed to live for him. We are not saved because of our good works, but we do good works because we are saved. Let your light shine for Jesus today.
- Why can't our faith be quiet and private? Why does it have to be visible?
- Are we saved by doing good works?
- Why does James place so much emphasis on works and actions?
Follow on social:
Click here to learn how you can start your own podcast.