“For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” (Matthew 6:14-15)
Why is forgiveness necessary? Why does God make a big deal about forgiveness?
• Forgiveness releases us from the offense.
Unforgiveness is a burden. I think we all know what it feels like. But forgiveness is freedom. Where there was once sorrow, heaviness, and bitterness, is now comfort and peace. When we forgive we are release from the bondage. To me, forgiveness is like God opening the prison door and allowing us to walk away and leave it all behind.
Forgiveness not only releases us physically and emotionally, it also releases us spiritually. One of the greatest barriers to effective prayer and a healthy spiritual life is an unforgiving heart.
Quote: D.L. Moody – “I believe unforgiveness is keeping more people from having power with God than any other thing – they are not willing to cultivate a spirit of forgiveness.
• You are never more like Jesus than when you forgive those who have sinned against you.
The Scripture teaches us that we forgive, just as God has forgiven us. Forgiveness gives us the opportunity to give others what God has given us.
Today’s challenge….sincerely reflect on these questions…
• Am I up to date on my forgiving?
• Am I holding a grudge against anyone?
• Do I harbor any bitterness against any person?
• Have I forgiven those who have hurt me deeply?
As we offer forgiveness to others, it releases us from the burden and weight of bitterness and unforgiveness. It’s here that we find freedom.
- Why is offering forgiveness to others so difficult?
- What happens in our own lives when we forgive others?
- Do you have a story to share in which God moved you to forgive someone?
Follow on social:
Click here to learn how you can start your own podcast.